Why Choose Waterman Village?
Below, are just a few of the reasons why people researching retirement communities across Florida, and the U.S., have chosen to make Waterman Village in Mount Dora, FL, their 'full-service', 'progressive', 'multi-level of living' retirement community of choice. Meet Pat & Jack, who recently moved in:
- ranking of Mount Dora, FL, as the#1 small
town in Florida and #4 in the nation, to retire to.
- The nursing home component, The Edgewater, being a FIVE STAR rated facility, by the Centers for Medicare/Medicaid services.
- Waterman Village is a not-for-profit organization, with close to 30 years of operational experience. It's locally owned and operated.
It's not managed by an 'off-site' management company or part of a 'corporate chain'. One of the few communities like this in Central
Florida, that offers independent living, assisted living, and a nursing care facility all on the same site. The community does not
have to budget extra income, in order to meet the income goals set forth by owners, corporations, investors, or management companies.
- The Brain Wellness Academy for Seniors.
- Family and friends are more excited and eager to visit them, because there are so many unique things to see and do in Mount Dora. For more
information, visit www.whattodoinmountdora.com
- The outpatient rehabilitation physical, occupational, and speech therapy clinic located right on campus.
- Waterman's convenient location close just about everything, which is extremely important as one ages. Less than one mile from
an Urgent Care Center (open 7 days a week), Publix (delivers groceries), Walgreens (walking distance), a dry cleaner (walking distance),
car wash, CVS drug store/pharmacy, Firestone Auto Care, several insurance agencies, the Mount Dora Library, dental offices, physician offices,
two veterinarian clinics, attorney offices, Lowe's and Ace Hardware stores, Mount Dora Police and Fire, several churches and a synagogue,
Chrysler/Dodge dealer, Quest Lab., numerous banks (Chase, SunTrust, United Southern, First National, BBT, & Bank of America), and a
variety of restaurants. It's just over one mile from the Mount Dora Center for the Arts, downtown Mount Dora, Ice House Theatre, Lakeside
Inn, Hampton Inn, Ford and Buick dealers, Country Club of Mount Dora, and a health food store. And, it's only a few miles from the highly
regarded Advent Health Hospital (formerly Florida Hospital Waterman). Having all these places nearby, helps residents stay independent
longer (do things on their own), stay active longer (engaged in the local community), and often enables them to drive longer.
- 24/7 staffed/gated entry, as well as on-campus security 24/7.
- Community agreement type. According to a report by the American Seniors Housing Association (ASHA), the average person who moves into
a community that offers independent living, assisted living, and a nursing home, will live in the community's nursing home area for only
9 months. Therefore, the average person is much better off financially to choose a 'fee-for-service' rate/agreement plan like Waterman
Village, where you pay a little more for nursing home care, but receive a 75% entry refund provision for life, rather than a community
with a 'life-care' rate/agreement plan that offers zero refund provisions after just a few years of residency, but charges a little less
for nursing home care. This also gives residents the freedom to move out (ex. move closer to a child after spouse passes away), without
feeling saddened or guilty about losing all the entrance fee monies they originally put down. Avoiding the feeling of being 'trapped'.
- The large nursing care facility (120 beds) and assisted living residence (78 apartments), greatly increasing the chance that space will
be available if needed, unlike some retirement communities.
- The location away from a Florida coast (no direct hurricane hit). The higher elevation of Mount Dora/Waterman Village, making it much
less susceptible to flooding.
- The dining experiences, citing food quality, choice, quantity, and cost.
- The higher number of independent living activity staff. Waterman employs two full-time activity/social directors, a full-time brain fitness
coordinator, and two full time personal fitness trainers.
- Waterman Villages' offering of independent living, assisted living, and nursing care ALL on the same campus. Residents have
prepared/planned their own futures . . . . minimizing the need for others having to make difficult and often complex decisions FOR them,
in the future.
- The "Home for Life Intention". It's Waterman Village's goal that residents be able to remain at Waterman, even if they should happen
to run out of funds due to no fault of their own.
- Waterman offers complimentary transportation both on campus (to and from entertainment, activities, dining facilities) and off campus (to
and from shopping, local services, and medical appointments in Leesburg, Mount Dora, Eustis, Tavares, St. Patrick's church, etc.).
- Residents pay no Florida state income tax.
- The Waterman campus offers spacious and safe walking areas, day or night.
- The Wellness Center programming and facilities.
- Waterman's full service home care agency located right on the campus. Important for 'continuity of care' and medical record info. coordination.
This service has enabled many independent living residents to stay in their homes longer, as well as avoid moves to assisted living or
nursing care altogether. Home care employees are drug tested and background checked, providing additional peace of mind.
- The CVS at Waterman Village pharmacy, located right on campus. Convenient. Home delivery. Actually 'get-to-know' your pharmacist.
- Attractive, mature, tree-lined, beautiful, shaded streets. A 'neighborhood' feel.
- The full-service dental office within walking or golf cart distance.
- The full-service physician clinics located within walking/golf cart distance, for same day or scheduled appointments.
- The Garden of Life Fellowship Hall (chapel) and Chapel Fellowship church congregation. Four Chaplains on staff.
- The 'comfortable/homey/ friendly' feel, that Waterman Village uniquely offers.
No solicitors, please.
Not for emergency use.
After living here for one month, I decided the personnel in the dining room’s philosophy were “We aim to please.” I had never known of people so congenial, so service-oriented and supportive. Not only a few, but the total staff. They made every resident feel comfortable. Then I realized the personnel of Waterman Village practice the same philosophy – “We aim to please.”
-Mary I. Whitaker