- Our Neighborhood
- Residential Living
- Our Lifestyle
- Our Health Choices
- Why Waterman Village
- Contact Us / News
Why Waterman Village?
The following are just a few of the reasons why people researching communities across Florida, have chosen to make Waterman Village in Mount Dora, FL, their retirement community destination of choice:
- ranking of Mount Dora, FL, as the#1 small town
in Florida and #4 in the nation, to retire to.
- The nursing home component, The Edgewater, is a FIVE STAR rated facility, under the Medicare/Medicaid nursing home compare program.
- Waterman Village was selected as the #1 Retirement Community, in the Daily Commercial Newspaper's 'Reader's, Choice Awards'.
- Unlike most other communities, Waterman Village is locally owned, is a not-for-profit organization, and is not-for-profit managed. Waterman
Village is the only community like this in Lake County, FL, offering independent living, assisted living, and a nursing care facility all
on the same site. The community does not have to meet profit or revenue goals in order to satisfy owners, corporations, investors,
or management companies.
- Waterman Village is conveniently located to just about everything, which is extremely important as one ages. The community is less than one mile from
an Urgent Care Center (open 7 days a week), Publix, Walgreens (walking distance), a dry cleaner (walking distance), car wash, CVS
drug store/pharmacy, Firestone Auto Care, several insurance agencies, the Mount Dora Library, dentists' offices, physicians' offices, two
veterinarian clinics, attorneys' offices, Lowe's Home Improvement and Ace Hardware stores, Mount Dora Police and Fire, several churches
and a synagogue, Chrysler/Dodge dealer, Quest Lab., numerous banks (Chase, SunTrust, United Southern, First National, BBT, & Bank of
America), and a variety of restaurants. It's just over one mile from the Mount Dora Center for the Arts, downtown Mount Dora,
Ice House Theatre, Lakeside Inn, Hampton Inn, Ford and Buick dealers, Mount Dora Country Club, and a health food store. And, it's only
a few miles from the highly regarded Florida Hospital Waterman. Having all these places nearby, helps residents stay independent
longer (do things on their own), stay active longer (engaged in the local community), and often enables them to drive longer.
- Family and friends are more excited and eager to visit them, because there are so many unique things to see and do in Mount Dora. For more information, visit www.WhatToDoInMountDora.com
- 24/7 staffed/gated entry, as well as on-campus security 24/7, unlike other communities, providing a greater sense of safety and security.
- The freedom to move out. At other communities, residents can pay a large entry fee ($100,000 - $300,000+). If they later wish to
move out, they know they would not receive any of that money back, leaving them feeling trapped and discouraged. They may not have
the funds needed to relocate, or, if they do, they and their family feel guilt and regret, knowing they just gave up hundreds of thousands
- Community agreement type. According to a report by the American Seniors Housing Association (ASHA), the average continuing care retirement
community (CCRC) independent living resident, will live in the CCRC's skilled nursing facility section for only 9 months. Therefore,
the average person is financially better off not paying a $100,000 - $300,000+ non-refundable entry fee, just so they
can receive a discount (if any), on a potentially brief stay in the community's skilled nursing facility.
- The large skilled nursing (120 beds) and assisted living (78 apartments) facilities, greatly increasing the chance that space will be
available if needed. Some retirement communities have much smaller facilities.
- Location away from a Florida coast (no direct hurricane hit). Higher elevation makes WV less susceptible to flooding.
- The dining experience, citing food quality, choice, quantity, cost, and inexpensive meal delivery that's available to all Manor and Villa Home
- Waterman Village's unique, one-story independent living residences afford more privacy, convenience and safety than a high rise building.
No elevators or long hallways to traverse, and covered parking is just a few feet from your front door (car protected from sun, heat, rain,
etc.) Quieter, less institutional feel, no neighbor apartment kitchen/food smells. Easy to evacuate, if needed.
Less risk of falling. Easily sit outside / fellowship with neighbors, take your pet out for a walk, or plant a flower or two.
- Waterman Village has more independent living activity staff to keep your calendar full. We employ two full-time activity/social directors,
a full-time brain fitness coordinator, and a full and part-time personal fitness trainer.
- Waterman offers independent living, assisted living, and nursing care on the same campus (with home care, a pharmacy, and a dentist office). Residents have prepared for their own futures by choosing Waterman, and now they don't worry that others will have to make difficult and
often complex decisions 'for them'. If they had moved to a place that only has independent living apartments, and later required
assisted living or nursing home care, they would possibly have to involve their children, look for another place, make another major move,
and live far from their friends and/or spouse.
- The "Home for Life Intention". It's Waterman Village's goal that residents be able to remain at Waterman, even if they should happen
to run out of funds due to no fault of their own.
- Waterman offers complimentary transportation both on campus (to and from entertainment, activities, dining facilities) and off campus (to
and from shopping, local services, and medical appointments in Leesburg, Mount Dora, Eustis, Tavares, St. Patrick's church, etc.).
- Florida Hospital, which is located nearby, accepts traditional medicare with medicare supplemental insurance, as well as certain top rated
Medicare Advantage plans. Waterman Village helps new residents make an easy/smooth transition in this area.
- Residents pay no Florida state income tax.
- The Waterman campus offers spacious and safe walking areas, day or night. Residents can also make the short, pleasant walk to vibrant
downtown Mount Dora day or night.
- The friendly, warm and compassionate staff.
- The short, easy drive between Waterman Village and Eustis, Tavares, and Leesburg makes visiting family and friends convenient and pleasant.
- The full service Waterman Village home care agency is located right on the campus. This service has enabled many independent living residents
to stay in their homes longer, as well as avoid a move to assisted living or nursing care altogether. Home care employees are tested/checked,
providing additional peace of mind.
- The full service pharmacy is located right on campus and offers free delivery.
- Attractive, mature, tree-lined, beautiful, shaded streets. A 'neighborhood' feel, like their home up North.
- Full-service dental office is located right across from the pharmacy.
- Waterman Village's retirement living counselors have 40+ years of combined experience in senior living. We strive to be helpful, knowledgeable,
and non-pressuring. We are not sales staff, but counselors in senior living, and we look forward to helping
you live your best life.
- Choosing Waterman Village means a lower overall cost than what many other communities charge for comparable facilities and services, including
multiple level of living, full service, Life Care, or continuing care retirement communities. Waterman also has a history of lower-than-average
annual rate increases.
- Garden of Life Fellowship Hall (chapel), which provides music across the campus throughout the day (In the Garden. How Great Thou Art. A Mighty Fortress, etc.),
and a regular church congregation with regular Sunday services.
- As of June 2015, Waterman Village's nursing home was among the highest overall Medicare rated nursing homes in Lake County, FL.
- Waterman's high occupancy percentage. One of Florida's most highly sought after/recommended progressive/multi-level of living communities.
- A Lake XPress bus stop is located right by the front entrance and the Triangle Cab company right in Mount Dora.
- The active Mount Dora Senior Club
No solicitors, please.
Not for emergency use.
Want to stay informed?
Waterman Village is a well-run retirement home that offers a range of accommodations. The management and staff do a fine job of making all residents comfortable with a wide level of activities. The Culinary Department excels. Retiring here was the best move we could have made. -Robert & Margret AppeNew York State